[ircd-ratbox] A few IRCd patches

Jilles Tjoelker jilles at stack.nl
Sun Jan 26 22:12:19 UTC 2014

Just a quick response about some patches here...

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 10:38:42PM +0100, Marc Dequènes (Duck) wrote:
> I made a few patches for Debian which could improve a few things in
> the IRCd (apply cleanly upon 3.0.8):
>    - contrib_modules_install_path.patch: the install_modules rules
> lacks DESTDIR support

I think this is fixed in trunk, if not in 3.0. We have not done a
release for a while.

>    - contrib_top_distclean.patch: missing distclean_contrib rule

Hmm, probably useful.

>    - gcc_format-security_fix.patch: hardening, thus
> -Werror=format-security do not complain anymore

Such a patch only makes a compiler happy and does not fix anything. The
problem is real and has been reported before. In trunk (SVN r27317 and
more), I have enabled -Wformat checking by changing the form_str() to a
macro that makes the string literal visible to the compiler and fixed
various issues.

>    - crypt-null-pointer-dereference.patch: the crypt() glibc function
> changed recently behavior to match specification, returning NULL
> instead of fallbacking to DES, which leads to crashes; see:

> http://www.eglibc.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/branches/eglibc-2_17/libc/NEWS?view=markup

>      This also means if you tried to create a hash for a password and
> an unsupported algorithm (like blowfish in Debian's glibc), you need
> to recreate it or login would fail (but the hash was far less secure
> anyway).

Probably useful.

--
Jilles Tjoelker