[ircd-ratbox] ratbox-services hangs on run.

Jason Booth metzenw at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 02:42:12 UTC 2013

Here is his strace

http://pastebin.com/iBGQeisX

futex(0xbec43778, FUTEX_WAIT_BITSET_PRIVATE|FUTEX_CLOCK_REALTIME, 1, NULL,
b6cc0000) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/futex.2.html

I'd guess that what ever resource ircd-ratbox wanted it could not or did
not have permission to. Perhaps someone else might know from the mailing
list.

I think it would be good if you did a gdb session as well because it was
not clear to me what was causing this.

gdb ircd-ratbox
once in run
(gdb) r

Then if it crashes you can look at the backtrace. That should give you a
little more detail I would think.

For example

root at system1:~# gdb ratbox-services

(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/sbin/ratbox-services
ratbox-services will not run as root

Program exited with code 0377.

Or as a non root user

(gdb) r -f
Starting program: /usr/sbin/ratbox-services -f
ratbox-services: version 1.2.1(20080628_1-25639)
ratbox-services: pid 8017
ratbox-services: running in foreground
[New Thread 0x7ffff716f700 (LWP 8020)]
[Thread 0x7ffff716f700 (LWP 8020) exited]

Program received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.
0x00007ffff766c00d in write () at ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S:82
82      ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S: Permission denied.
        in ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S

I hope that helps get you to the next step.

-JB