[ircd-ratbox] ircd-ratbox-3.0.8-unicode1

Daniel Corbe corbe at corbe.net
Sat May 4 16:25:36 UTC 2013

Jilles Tjoelker <jilles at stack.nl> writes:

> On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 05:43:28PM +0300, Daniel Corbe wrote:
>> As part of an ongoing effort to create a stand-alone Jabber MUC which
>> uses an IRC server as a back end, I've created a very simple patch to
>> ircd-ratbox which enables unicode nick support.
>
>> As it turns out, it was quite easy because the server is pretty much
>> agnostic to encoding.
>
>> The patch is available at
>> http://www.corbe.net/static/ircd-ratbox-3.0.8-unicode.patch
>
>> A production server is up at irc.corbe.net.
>
>> The working repo can be tracked at
>> git://apollo.corbe.net/ircd-ratbox.git
>
> Allowing characters like '#', '$', '&', '*' and ':' breaks the protocol
> (this list is not exhaustive). For example, PRIVMSG interprets things
> starting with '#' or '&' as channels and things starting with '$' as
> globals. The asterisk and question mark are wildcard characters, which
> is "fun" for miscreants who will make it likely that everyone will be
> banned when an attempt is made to ban them. Parameters starting with a
> colon are special to the framing mechanism; clients and servers alike
> will get confused when a nickname starts with a colon.

The proto-breaking characters are disabled in the update version of the
patch.

I'm not as concerned about glob characters like * and ? though.  The
MUC service will have to interpret the user's wishes when placing a
channel ban from the jabber side.  It's something I'll need to be
cognisant of as I progress with this project.

The IRC users will have to be clever enough to do host bans.

> If you want to enable the remaining us-ascii characters (with the
> exception of the tilde '~'), you will have to be a bit more clever.
>
> Enabling the bytes 128-255 should pose fewer problems. However, it would
> be a good idea to add a check for valid UTF-8 and to truncate at
> character boundaries.

Jiles,

Thanks for the pointers.  The updated patch is up.

-Daniel