[ircd-ratbox] ircd-ratbox-3.0.8-unicode1

Jilles Tjoelker jilles at stack.nl
Sat May 4 15:36:36 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 05:43:28PM +0300, Daniel Corbe wrote:
> As part of an ongoing effort to create a stand-alone Jabber MUC which
> uses an IRC server as a back end, I've created a very simple patch to
> ircd-ratbox which enables unicode nick support.

> As it turns out, it was quite easy because the server is pretty much
> agnostic to encoding.

> The patch is available at
> http://www.corbe.net/static/ircd-ratbox-3.0.8-unicode.patch

> A production server is up at irc.corbe.net.

> The working repo can be tracked at
> git://apollo.corbe.net/ircd-ratbox.git

Allowing characters like '#', '$', '&', '*' and ':' breaks the protocol
(this list is not exhaustive). For example, PRIVMSG interprets things
starting with '#' or '&' as channels and things starting with '$' as
globals. The asterisk and question mark are wildcard characters, which
is "fun" for miscreants who will make it likely that everyone will be
banned when an attempt is made to ban them. Parameters starting with a
colon are special to the framing mechanism; clients and servers alike
will get confused when a nickname starts with a colon.

If you want to enable the remaining us-ascii characters (with the
exception of the tilde '~'), you will have to be a bit more clever.

Enabling the bytes 128-255 should pose fewer problems. However, it would
be a good idea to add a check for valid UTF-8 and to truncate at
character boundaries.

--
Jilles Tjoelker