[ircd-ratbox] Spoofing part of host

Jilles Tjoelker jilles at stack.nl
Tue Apr 27 18:37:20 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 07:48:24PM +0200, Marcus Carlsson wrote:
> I've recently switched from Unrealircd to ircd-ratbox and a few days ago I
> got a question from one client connected to the network asking if I could
> spoof the hosts of the connected clients. Unrealircd spoof host/ip-addresses
> in a manner of my.host.com which would become <random>.host.com, in other
> words, removing a port of the host.

> I haven't found anything similar to what I want, nor any module so now I'm
> turning to you guys :) Do you know any module capable of doing what I want
> or how hard would it be creating my own module to do this (haven't looked
> through the source in detail)?

The module API is not powerful enough to do this, as it does not allow
adding an additional host field to clients. Additionally, the mangling
should not affect many of the places that show a host to opers. Bans
should also be checked against both the mangled and unmangled version to
avoid evasion by toggling mangling.

Note that this is different from auth::spoof which only works on initial
connection and discards the original hostname, assuming the client is
more or less trusted.

You may be interested in charybdis, an ircd-ratbox fork directed at
networks with more central control which has hostmangling and other
additional features. You could port the feature over but it is a
nontrivial amount of work, particularly if you do not know the code.

--
Jilles Tjoelker