[ircd-ratbox] Question about simulation multiple users via one connection

Jilles Tjoelker jilles at stack.nl
Fri Jan 30 16:45:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 09:18:45AM +0100, "Florian Schätz" wrote:
> Hi,

> we're using an ircd-ratbox as our own little chat server, works fine.
> Now I want to try something new and connect a game (Ultima Online) via
> it's internal chat to the IRC server. The UO side of the problem is
> pretty easy, but I don't know how to start about linking the ratbox to
> it...

> Is it possible to...
> - connect to the ratbox with only ONE connection (from UO)
> - but get multiple users this way (one for every user logged into the
>   internal game chat)
> - send out everything is happening in the IRC to UO and via versa

> The whole thing has only to support very basic commands (mainly text
> messages, private messages, emotes and channel changes - but not more
> than one channel per game user at a time).

> So... Is this possible? And if yes: How would one start with it?

You can do this by connecting as a server. Servers can introduce users
and other servers. The protocol used by ratbox is called TS6. Because
there are also other ircds in use on efnet, incompatible changes are
uncommon.

For the implementation it is probably best to write it yourself.
Several services packages have TS6 support but I think they all assume
too much that the only clients introduced by them will be services and
nickname enforcers.

You can find documentation under doc/technical/ in the source tree.
There is more material in svn trunk.

As far as commands go, take note that you cannot stop things like nick
changes, kicks and kills from happening.

--
Jilles Tjoelker