[ircd-ratbox] ratbox-services and database hooks, where to begin.

Lee H lee at leeh.co.uk
Tue Dec 15 20:26:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 02:18:02AM -0500, Ryan wrote:
> My question, finally, is: what is the starting point for importing data,
> which i will make sure are on the server hosting ratbox-services, using
> the provided database hooks?

This is one of those situations where knowing what you're trying to achieve
as an end result can make things easier to suggest..

That said, based on what you've said I would be tempted to go about this a
different way.  In particular, is there no way you can have the ircd and
Drupal share the same mysql backend server?

Generally speaking it is safe to read from the rserv database -- but not ok
to write to it.  If they're sharing the same backend server, the upshot of
this is that Drupal can actually be querying the rserv database live, and
then using the hooks to get information in.

If you decrease the hook run time in rserv so it's once every few seconds
say, you can actually wait it out in Drupal to get what you want.  Having
rserv notify Drupal will be difficult -- if Drupal can instead monitor the
rserv database it could be easier all round.

Of course I'm working on two presumptions here, firstly Drupal/rserv can be
made to share the same architecture -- and secondly that it will be easier
for you to do PHP code in Drupal, than to do C in rserv..

Have a think -- and please keep the list in any replies.

Cheers,