[ircd-ratbox] SSL Client-Server Capability?

William Pitcock nenolod at sacredspiral.co.uk
Mon Nov 12 00:59:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 11:51 +1100, John Marshall wrote:
> I've just installed ircd-ratbox 2.2.6 on a FreeBSD server on our
> internal network (no plans to connect it to a public irc net). I am
> considering installing it on an Internet-facing server as well (and
> connecting the two ircd's) so that we can permit communication with a
> restricted set of Internet clients (restricting connection source via
> ircd.conf and requiring connection password) - but I wouldn't do this
> without using something like SSL on the public client/server link.
>
> Is there a version of ircd-ratbox coming which supports encrypted
> Client/Server capability?
>
> I found a thread in this list's May 2005 archive on this topic - so I've
> already seen that discussion:
> <http://lists.ratbox.org/pipermail/ircd-ratbox/2005-May/000605.html>
>
> Just wondering if there may have been subsequent developments?
>
> Thank you for your help.

It seems unlikely that ircd-ratbox will ever support SSL for
connections. But, I'm not an ircd-ratbox developer so, I could be wrong.

You might consider using stunnel. There is a patch for it which can be
used in conjunction with m_webirc if you need the hostname to be the
outside one and not the stunnel hostname. But I don't recall where I saw
it.

 - nenolod