[ircd-ratbox] NOTICE flood throttling and flood_exempt

Lee H lee at leeh.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 21:57:39 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 12:38:30PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand.  Can you explain what "allows the user to
> send many commands" and "any other flood type restrictions" mean?

The only thing flood_exempt does, is allow the user to send an unlimited
amount of commands to the server, without ever being penalised or
ratelimited for doing so.

This is the most simple flood limiting we have, "you can send X commands to
the server in Y seconds, any more and we'll start lagging how fast we
process your commands".  It's a first line defence against flooding, as the
rate-limiting code is completely agnostic about what commands are actually
used, it only cares about the volume of them.

There are various other limits over and above this though, because in a
number of situations you need limits on a specific type of activity.  These
are completely separate from the rate limiting, and includes the pace_wait
stuff on WHOIS, the PRIVMSG/NOTICE limits, the 'anti-spam' channel join
limits, etc.

For historic reasons, the exemption to these other limits is typically tied
to being opered.

It isn't 'technically accurate' to say this, but think of it as:
"To flood the local server, you must be flood_exempt.  To flood the network,
you must be opered as well."

Nice to see you're still kicking about btw ;-)