[ircd-ratbox] NOTICE flood throttling and flood_exempt

Jeremy Chadwick ratbox at jdc.parodius.com
Mon Jul 23 19:38:30 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 12:11:15AM +0200, Jilles Tjoelker wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 01:32:41PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > Question applies to ircd-ratbox-2.2.6.
>
> As designed, flood_exempt allows the user to send arbitrarily many
> commands, but does not exempt them from any other flood type
> restrictions. Without IRCop status, this allows them to flood channels
> they have +o or +v in, for example.

I'm not sure I understand.  Can you explain what "allows the user to
send many commands" and "any other flood type restrictions" mean?

The problem encountered [I thought] was pretty black-and-white: an
individual matching a class with flag 'flood_exempt' was getting flood-
throttled when sending too many NOTICEs to another user (not a channel),
despite told during connection "*** You are exempt from flood limits."

The code location I posted (modules/core/m_message.c ~692-698) implies
that for NOTICEs and PRIVMSGs, flood exemption only happens to those
who are 1) flood_exempt, and 2) /OPER'd.

If this is indeed by design, then it should be documented as such in
example.conf or somewhere else.  Maybe even the flag should be moved
to the oper {} section.  The existing documentation:

  * flood_exempt               | exempt this user from flood limits
  *                                     USE WITH CAUTION.

Vague, but implies from the "USE WITH CAUTION" note that it will make
any client with that flag set in that class able to flood.  This
isn't true in the case of NOTICE/PRIVMSG.

Am I making sense?  :-)

> On the other hand, flood_exempt is more powerful in allowing many
> commands than no_oper_flood.

I don't understand what this means either, particularly because the
documentation for no_oper_flood simply says it "increases flood
limits for opers".