[ircd-ratbox] NOTICE flood throttling and flood_exempt

Jilles Tjoelker jilles at stack.nl
Wed Jul 11 22:11:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 01:32:41PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Question applies to ircd-ratbox-2.2.6.

> Today I got a report (reproducable) of one of our users getting flood
> throttled due to a large number of NOTICEs he was sending out to another
> user (it was actually a total of 10 DCCs) on the same server.  Only 5 of
> them made it through before he got:

> [21:50] -irc.sc1.parodius.com- *** Message to whomever throttled due to flooding

> mIRC is kind enough to include a NOTICE to the user per DCC.  Since DCCs
> are just CTCPs which are just NOTICEs with ^A's in them, a DCC from mIRC
> basically sends out two NOTICEs.  This explains why only 5 of the 10 got
> through.

> However, the user matches an auth{} block which explicitly has his flags
> set to flood_exempt.  He's also got an oper{} block, but at the time he
> was not /oper'd.

> auth {
> 	user = "*ident at aaa.bbb.ccc.0/24";
> 	spoof = "whatever.blah";
> 	flags = exceed_limit, flood_exempt, no_tilde;
> 	class = "admins";
> };

> general {
> 	default_floodcount = 10;
> 	no_oper_flood = yes;
> 	client_flood = 20;
> };

> The user was definitely being matched in that auth{} block, since the
> spoof was being applied:
> [snip]
> I'm guessing the flood protection kicked in because he wasn't /oper'd,
> and I'm basing this on what's in modules/core/m_message.c around lines
> 692 and 698...

> If that's right -- it doesn't make much sense to have an auth{} block
> flag that only applies to /oper'd individuals.  Well, at least in
> regards to flood_exempt.  Yes, there *are* some individuals on our
> network who I want to disable flood throttling for who I *do not*
> want to be /opers.  :-)

As designed, flood_exempt allows the user to send arbitrarily many
commands, but does not exempt them from any other flood type
restrictions. Without IRCop status, this allows them to flood channels
they have +o or +v in, for example.

On the other hand, flood_exempt is more powerful in allowing many
commands than no_oper_flood.

--
Jilles Tjoelker