[ircd-ratbox] NOTICE flood throttling and flood_exempt

Jeremy Chadwick ratbox at jdc.parodius.com
Mon Jul 9 20:32:41 UTC 2007

Question applies to ircd-ratbox-2.2.6.

Today I got a report (reproducable) of one of our users getting flood
throttled due to a large number of NOTICEs he was sending out to another
user (it was actually a total of 10 DCCs) on the same server.  Only 5 of
them made it through before he got:

[21:50] -irc.sc1.parodius.com- *** Message to whomever throttled due to flooding

mIRC is kind enough to include a NOTICE to the user per DCC.  Since DCCs
are just CTCPs which are just NOTICEs with ^A's in them, a DCC from mIRC
basically sends out two NOTICEs.  This explains why only 5 of the 10 got
through.

However, the user matches an auth{} block which explicitly has his flags
set to flood_exempt.  He's also got an oper{} block, but at the time he
was not /oper'd.

auth {
	user = "*ident at aaa.bbb.ccc.0/24";
	spoof = "whatever.blah";
	flags = exceed_limit, flood_exempt, no_tilde;
	class = "admins";
};

general {
	default_floodcount = 10;
	no_oper_flood = yes;
	client_flood = 20;
};

The user was definitely being matched in that auth{} block, since the
spoof was being applied:

user is ident at whatever.blah * blah blah
user on @#somechan
user using irc.sc1.parodius.com k-k-kuuuuk!
user actually using host aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
user has been idle 10mins 53secs, signed on Sat Jul 07 16:56:28
End of /WHOIS list.

I'm guessing the flood protection kicked in because he wasn't /oper'd,
and I'm basing this on what's in modules/core/m_message.c around lines
692 and 698...

If that's right -- it doesn't make much sense to have an auth{} block
flag that only applies to /oper'd individuals.  Well, at least in
regards to flood_exempt.  Yes, there *are* some individuals on our
network who I want to disable flood throttling for who I *do not*
want to be /opers.  :-)