[ircd-ratbox] ircd-ratbox password encryption

Lee H lee at leeh.co.uk
Thu Apr 19 17:29:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 12:38:54AM -0700, Nikolay Kolev wrote:
> I want to know what encyption method are you using for
> the password of the your application, because I'm
> creating a web site with PHP and I want create a login
> module using the passwords stored in the sqlite
> database of your application. Thanks!

Presuming you are talking about ratbox-services rather than ircd-ratbox,
passwords are stored in a normal crypt() format.  This will either be a DES
hash or an MD5 hash of the password.  Note that the hash is salted, and is
not just a plain hash.

Presuming you are just comparing (you should certainly not be updating the
database directly, except through database hooks), then you should just pass
the entire encrypted password as the salt to crypt().

Cheers,