[ircd-ratbox] comm_fd_hack

Aaron Sethman androsyn at ratbox.org
Sun Nov 20 07:33:40 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Dustin Marquess wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm slightly confused about comm_fd_hack in ratbox 2.1.7.
>
> It says Solaris's stdio only supports fds < 256, yet it forces all fds to
> start at 257?  Is it just me, or is it backwards?
This is the correct way to do it.  This pushes all of the non-stdio
fds(sockets and the like) out of the way so that stdio can use fds < 256.

> If this is really how this is supposed to work, then maybe the follow line in
> listener.c needs to be changed for Solaris machines:
>
>        else if((HARD_FDLIMIT - 10) < fd)

Yeah for Solaris, you'd probably just need to add 256 to HARD_FDLIMIT, or
just accept the fact that doing --with-maxclients on Solaris is kinda odd.
(If Sun would actually *fix* the problem, it would be a non-issue)

-Aaron