[ircd-ratbox] Request For Feature: IRCS (IRC-over-SSL)

Aaron Sethman androsyn at ratbox.org
Tue May 17 19:35:49 EDT 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> Hence, my Request For Feature is for native SSL/TLS support
> in ircd-ratbox. Something like this older patch under
> http://www.wohmart.com/ircd/pub/ratbox/3-Feature/ssl/ but for the latest
> version, of course. ircd-ratbox already (optionally) uses OpenSSL's
> libcrypto (for the challenge/response functionality), so the next
> obvious step would be use libssl for supporting IRCS anyway ;-)

My goal was to implement it as an out of process functionality, thus why I
haven't integrated any of the other patches.  For me its really be a
matter of time to get around to implement it.  I think my main concern is
that when somebody does go and throw it on a 10k server that has multiple
cpus, being able to take advantage of the other cpu would be very nice.
And as it stands right now, the existing(and buggy patches) would not do
that at all.  I guess for me its a matter of wanting to do it what I feel
is "the right way."  Its something I'll try to put time into, but it'll
take me a bit.  If anyone wants to help with this, let me know :D

Aaron