[ircd-ratbox] Request For Feature: IRCS (IRC-over-SSL)

Lee H lee at leeh.co.uk
Tue May 17 14:18:14 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 11:52:17AM -0400, Paul-Andrew Joseph Miseiko wrote:
> Do you use telnet instead of SSH?  If you truly believe what you wrote
> below then I imagine you do... since SSH suffers the same fates that SSL
> incurs on a public network.

Lets use your analogy.  To compare it with irc, when you want to ssh
anywhere, you would first need to ssh to a public ssh server, run on a
network you dont know, by someone you dont know, who is providing you
with access for free.  Then once you are logged into that machine, you
can ssh out to where you need to go.  Secure?  Hardly.

SSL makes no guarantees about how secure the data is once it reaches the end
point.  In normal cases, this is fine because the end point is actually
where your data is going.  This isnt the case in IRC, the server is going to
forward your message on for you, possibly through multiple other servers.

If you want your data to be secure, you would not be sending it in a form
thats unencryptable to a public server whose security you cannot trust --
you would be using *real* end-to-end communication.