[ircd-ratbox] Request For Feature: IRCS (IRC-over-SSL)

Ralf S. Engelschall rse at engelschall.com
Tue May 17 07:22:19 EDT 2005

On irc.openpkg.net we are using the IRCS (IRC-over-SSL) protocol
(only). Unfortunately, ircd-ratbox currently still does not support
IRCS natively while other IRC daemons (e.g. Unreal, etc) already do.
Hence, we are using STunnel in front of ircd-ratbox. This works fine and
without any problems.

There is just one little issue: ircd-ratbox now receives connections
from localhost/127.0.0.1 only and this way some useful access control
and authentication features are not available. Additionally, STunnel
just adds some complexity to such a setup which could be avoided.

Hence, my Request For Feature is for native SSL/TLS support
in ircd-ratbox. Something like this older patch under
http://www.wohmart.com/ircd/pub/ratbox/3-Feature/ssl/ but for the latest
version, of course. ircd-ratbox already (optionally) uses OpenSSL's
libcrypto (for the challenge/response functionality), so the next
obvious step would be use libssl for supporting IRCS anyway ;-)

Although I know OpenSSL myself a little bit ;-) I've no more time
available for those hacks. So, is someone else already working on this
or at least planning to work on this? This would be a rather cool thing
for ircd-ratbox...
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse at engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com