[ircd-ratbox] Generate Passwords

Nathaniel Maier nmaier at columbus.rr.com
Sun Nov 28 16:38:44 EST 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, W. Campbell wrote:

> 13 characters is standard DES.  They're the most supported but the
> least "secure".  You are limited to 8 character plaintext passwords,
> and the output will be 13 characters.  About seeing many different
> outputs of the same plaintext, that's normal.  There are 4096
> different valid encryptions for 'password'.  Each time you run
> mkpasswd, you will likely get a different one.  Just create one and
> put it into your ircd.conf (use the crypted version...), rehash, and
> then try to /oper nick plaintext in IRC.
>
> Please note that you can get failed oper attempts by means other than
> an invalid or bad password.  Run ircd -conftest to test your ircd.conf
> before trying to run it, and correct any errors or warnings it prints
> out.  Also make sure your user at host match what the oper{} block
> expects, and if you use spoofed hostnames, make sure that the oper{}
> block contains the spoofed hostname, not your real hostname.

Thanks! It actually worked. The strange thing is, the password I use is 12
characters long (plaintext), yet it creates a 13 character encrypted (DES?)
password. Also, we do use spoofed hostnames, yet we have the real hostname
in each operator{} block.

But I'm happy, it works so now I can just have people download that program
and generate their encrypted password. Thanks for the help, and the program.
:)

OSUKid7