[ircd-ratbox] Generate Passwords

OSUKid7 nmaier at columbus.rr.com
Sun Nov 28 16:07:24 EST 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, W. Campbell wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, OSUKid7 wrote:
>
> > Hello. I'm trying to find a way to generate passwords for my ratbox IRC
> > server without a Linux machine/using the mkpasswd command. I thought the
> > passwords were md5 passwords, but I've generated several md5 passwords
> with
> > php, and obviously it doesn't generate the correct one. What type of
> > encryption does ratbox use for operator passwords? How can I generate
> those
> > passwords using either a Windows program or through a website? Thanks.
>
> It's whatever types of passwords your system (the one with the ircd
> running on it) supports in its crypt() library.  Most Linux machines,
> for instance, support MD5, standard DES, and extended DES.
>
> Note that an "MD5 password" must be one created by your crypt()
> function.  I'm not sure if PHP's md5 routines create the proper thing
> or not.
>
> I would personally not trust any web based crypter, though if you
> really wish to go that way, you can likely find some by searching for
> it.  I made a Windows program to act as a frontend to crypt() using a
> "nice" GUI.  You can get a copy of that from
> http://www.wohmart.com/ircd/pub/irc_tools/mkpasswd/windows/
> You do, however, need to know what the ircd host uses.
>
> PS.  A crypt() MD5 password will always be in the form:
> $1$xxxxxxxx$yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
> where the x's and y's are "random" letters, numbers, '.' and '/'
> characters.  If PHP doesn't give you something in that form, it's not
> a valid MD5 password for ircd.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't know what type of encryption the host uses. I
tried that program, and none of the crypted passwords matched (or even had
the same format as) the one generated by mkpasswd. The crypt of "password"
is "GMuMeMoqUogqE" on my server. All password are 13 characters. Does that
give you or anyone else a hint to what type of encryption is used? Thanks.

OSUKid7