[ircd-ratbox] Burst before verifying timestamp?

Aaron Sethman androsyn at ratbox.org
Fri Jan 2 13:04:19 EST 2004

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Paul-Andrew Joseph Miseiko wrote:

> Alright, so I do a simply telnet into the IRC server and register myself as
> a server with a bogus timestamp that's so old it makes me look like a time
> traveller.  Why does the server send all the synchronization information
> prior to verifying the timestamp's validity?  I'm no genius but this does
> not seem very logical and in situations where two large servers might link
> and synchronize only for them to finally realize the timestamp is invalid;
> result in both a waste of time and bandwidth.

Well the server *can* drop remote servers if its TS is too different. The
following goes in your servers general block.

	/* ts delta: the time delta allowed between server clocks before
	 * a warning is given, or before the link is dropped.  all servers
         * should run ntpdate/rdate to keep clocks in sync
   	 */
        ts_warn_delta = 30 seconds;
	ts_max_delta = 5 minutes;

Now if your fake server never sends the SVINFO the remote server has know
way of knowing the servers current timestamp.  In this case the ts delta
options just won't be checked.

Aaron