[ircd-ratbox] Burst before verifying timestamp?

Paul-Andrew Joseph Miseiko esoteric at teardrop.ca
Fri Jan 2 11:21:09 EST 2004

Alright, so I do a simply telnet into the IRC server and register myself as
a server with a bogus timestamp that's so old it makes me look like a time
traveller.  Why does the server send all the synchronization information
prior to verifying the timestamp's validity?  I'm no genius but this does
not seem very logical and in situations where two large servers might link
and synchronize only for them to finally realize the timestamp is invalid;
result in both a waste of time and bandwidth.

.

esoteric at dropnet - Your friendly rat-box network.